We are running our Powerboat Handling Course for women again during the School Holidays over three mornings 8-10 April.
The course is the complete Australian Sailing Powerboat Handling course as part of the She Sails initiative, with a few changes to the delivery and format.
Commercially the course is typically delivered as a full day program, however…
- That’s a long day on the water
- It’s a lot to absorb at once
- There is little time for reflection or revision
- Getting a clear full day can be difficult
So, we’ve split the course into three morning sessions, plus an optional extra session
- Monday 8 April 9.30am – 1:00 pm
- Tuesday 9 April 9.30am – 1:00 pm
- Wednesday 10 April 9.30am – 1:00 pm (Followed by optional trip if it’s a good day)
The course comprises as a mixture of:
- classroom theory with video demonstration;
- shore side teaching about trailers and boat equipment;
- jetty preparation and refuelling; and
- lots of on water work to master the competencies of boat handling including:
- Pre departure checks
- Risk and hazard identification and management
- Departing a jetty or mooring
- Steer and gear – “the magic”
- Precision low speed manoeuvring
- Comfortable cruising and high speed handling
- Tilt, trim and load distribution for varying conditions
- Man overboard
- Basic VHF radio operation and procedures for safety
- Navigation marks
- Kill cords (and extensions)
- Positioning in and around a racecourse
- Driving with / approaching sail boats
- Approaching a moored boat
- Anchoring and return to moorings
- Approaching a jetty and docking procedures
- Basic troubleshooting and fault finding
- Knots and towing
- Basic rescue support – first responder
- Med moorings and Flinders moorings
- Induction to SSCBC Ducks, RHIBS and Tinnies
The course includes an ebook which participants are encouraged to review in advance of the course.
The instructor for the course is Ben Fels, a Safety Boat Operator Instructor who has extensive experience as an International Judge, International Umpire, National Race Officer and Sailing Coach. As a member of the Victorian Race Officials Committee he has also successfully supported and mentored a number of women on their Race Official pathway through club level to state and national level accreditation as Race Officers and Umpires.
Ben teaches with an inclusive style building the knowledge, competence and confidence of his students.
Spots are limited to 6 places. Enrol with the link below.
$360 RRP Public cost
For further information, please contact Ben Fels: email@example.com