Once sailors graduate from the Stripy Squad level 3 or OutThere Sailing, we encourage them to join Team Sorrento.
There are a few differences between Team Sorrento and our Stripy Squad programs.
- Sailors have their own boat. For those looking to purchase a boat, SSCBC can help by providing some try/buy schemes. Please ask the office for more information.
- Better value: once sailors learn the core competency skills, they don’t require the same high ratio of coach to student, therefore it is a more cost-efficient program, compared with the Stripy Squad levels.
- Regular training: Our base training sessions are every Sunday from September School holidays until the end of April, as well as multiple training camps.
There are 3 levels of Junior Sailing within Team Sorrento:
- Green: For sailors who have graduated from the Stripy Squad levels. We have lower coach ratios and would be conscious of ensuring they are comfortable on the water.
- Intermediate: Sailors are more independent on and off the water. Sailors are encouraged to take part in regattas around Port Phillip Bay.
- Open: Sailors are confident in all conditions and travel to events around Port Phillip Bay and beyond, such as State and National titles.
Youth Sailing (14-18 years old)
Youth Sailing within Team Sorrento is mainly broken into two areas; single handed dinghies (one person) and double handed dinghies (two people). For children who would like to make a decision on which pathway to choose, SSCBC allows Members to use the Club’s Quest dinghies (for a transition period), which are ideal boats for teaching trapezing and flying spinnakers. We are also adapting to a changing sailing environment with foiling becoming more popular. With this base, hopefully sailors can make an informed decision on the pathway of choice.