Once sailors graduate from the Stripy Squad level 3 or OutThere Sailing, we encourage them to join Team Sorrento. There are a few differences between Team Sorrento and our Stripy Squad programs.
- Sailors have their own boat. For those looking to purchase a boat, SSCBC can help by providing some try/buy schemes. Please ask the office for more information.
- Better value: once sailors learn the core competency skills, they don’t require the same high ratio of coach to student, therefore it is a more cost-efficient program, compared with the Stripy Squad levels.
- Regular training: Our base training sessions are every Sunday from September School holidays until the end of April, as well as multiple training camps.
The levels within Team Sorrento are Junior, Next Gen and Adult.
There are 3 levels of Junior Sailing within Team Sorrento:
- Green: For sailors who have graduated from the Stripy Squad levels. We have lower coach ratios and would be conscious of ensuring they are comfortable on the water.
- Intermediate: Sailors are more independent on and off the water. Sailors are encouraged to take part in regattas around Port Phillip Bay.
- Open: Sailors are confident in all conditions and travel to events around Port Phillip Bay and beyond, such as State and National titles.
Youth Sailing (14-18 years old)
Youth Sailing within Team Sorrento is mainly broken into two areas; single handed dinghies (one person) and double handed dinghies (two people). For children who would like to make a decision on which pathway to choose, SSCBC allows Members to use the Club’s Quest dinghies (for a transition period), which are ideal boats for teaching trapezing and flying spinnakers. We are also adapting to a changing sailing environment with foiling becoming more popular. With this base, hopefully sailors can make an informed decision on the pathway of choice.
Team / Match Racing
The course is the complete Australian Sailing Powerboat Handling course as part of the She Sails initiative, with a few changes to the delivery and format. The course comprises as a mixture of classroom theory and practical work. The course includes an ebook which participants are encouraged to review in advance of the course.
The instructor for the course is Ben Fels, a Safety Boat Operator Instructor who has extensive experience as an International Judge, International Umpire, National Race Officer and Sailing Coach. As a member of the Victorian Race Officials Committee he has also successfully supported and mentored a number of women on their Race Official pathway through club level to state and national level accreditation as Race Officers and Umpires.
Ben teaches with an inclusive style building the knowledge, competence and confidence of his students.
For further information, please contact Ben Fels: [email protected]
Instructor / Coaching
Adult Sailing is the ideal course for those aged 18+ to get out on dinghies and learn the basics. The lessons are adapted to ability, so whether you have some previous experience or are a complete beginner, we will challenge you. This course is held during Easter and September school holidays as well as throughout summer. Come along and have some fun on the water.